Thursday, April 5, 2012

Miss Blue

I've been pre-playing this deck in advance of this article and man...it sucks. Unlike the song, which I adore.
2 Sanity Grinding

2 Jace Beleren

3 Training Grounds
3 Memory Erosion
4 Counterspell
3 Rewind
3 Capsize
3 Whispers of the Muse
3 Cryptic Command
3 Broken Ambitions
2 Memory Lapse
4 Telling Time

3 Ambassador Laquatus
22 Island
So let me tell you what this sucks against: aggro decks.  They don't care that they just had to mill 2 or 17 cards, because they are attacking for 2, now 4, now 4 again, now 6 and you're dead. And it sure seems like I've been playing against a lot of aggro decks lately.

The goal here is to keep this a mono-blue deck. Mind Funeral is probably the best card ever printed at milling someone (averages about 13 cards per, in my experience) and Glimpse the Unthinkable is...well, hot but focus is what keeps a deck that's weird from being a pain in the ass to being a solid contender.

So; mono blue, with the goal being to land the Ambassador with a Training Grounds out and go to town. Everything else is countermagic and draw so I can assemble the combo. Jace is...well, it's Jace. What do you want?

I want a deck that isn't folding every time someone plays a Goldmeadow Stalwart. So I'm having to reevaluate what this deck is: I had built it as a control deck but it is not a control deck, it's a combo deck. Everything in here has to generate mana, mill, be the combo or protect it.

So: Jace is out as it's too slow and nobody cares about attacking it, Rewind is possibly out but being able to counter a spell then grind 12 cards is no small threat, maybe Memory Lapse too. Capsize might also come out because there are other bounce spells, including ones that let me draw cards. Make room for High Tide so I can generate more mana and mill quicker. Sanity Grinding out for Increasing Confusion, in case the Ambassador doesn't show up, High Tide and Increasing Confusion can make it up instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment