Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recaps and Updates

So the truth is, I can't leave anything alone that is still a problem. Hence, behind the scenes work on Oak God, which has lead to me removing four lands, adding in Elvish Archdruid, Craterhoof Behemoth, and two Llanowar Elves, swapping Genesis Wave for Chord of Calling and going from there.

It feels very, very weird to go to 18 lands and I'll be the first person to admit that if someone plays red sweeper cards, I'm totally fucked. But the crazy thing? It's working. It's not brilliant but I'm having more fun: missing on one Genesis Wave is more exciting than casting Chord of Calling 60 times for the win.


18 Forest

4 Citanul Druid
1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
2 Seton, Krosan Protector
3 Werebear
4 Fyndhorn Elves
3 Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
2 Elvish Harbinger
2 Yavimaya Elder
3 Regal Force
3 Mul Daya Channelers
3 Adaptive Automaton
2 Llanowar Elves
1 Elvish Archdruid
1 Craterhoof Behemoth

3 Dense Foliage

2 Vitalize

3 Genesis Wave

With Here Come The Butchers, I had a revelation: no matter how big the Death Cloud, odds are I'm going to keep 3 lands. Why not make them lands that can do something for me? Enter Spawning Pool which, coupled with a bigger focus on discard, will hopefully give the deck some of the reach it was looking for. 

I realize Raven's Crime isn't the most efficient discard but it does play nice with Tilling Treefolk so it's getting the nod for now. (Plus, I don't really own any better options at this point.) This deck may be better suited for multiplayer overall and I don't mind that. You need decks for every situation because no one thing fits all.

7 Swamp
1 Thran Quarry
2 Spawning Pool
9 Forest
4 Woodland Cemetery
3 Penumbra Bobcat
3 Penumbra Spider
4 Bone Shredder
3 Tilling Treefolk
3 Vorapede
2 Puppeteer Clique
2 Viridian Emissary

4 Search for Tomorrow
4 Death Cloud
3 Unmask
4 Raven's Crime

2 Golgari Signet

In the case of Scavenger, I had a sudden flash: why not just forget creature removal and put in 4 Bonehoards? They fit the theme, are difficult to remove and have the bonus of taking small Wingcrafters and making them formidable.

That...only sort of worked. I kept having games where the Bonehoard would be milled away, which is going to happen, or would be drawn but not really helpful. So I trimmed some space for Ghastly Demise, which also works in the theme, is cheap and helpful for a three color deck. I had to cut the Fungal Shamblers though, which is a bummer. Hopefully they'll find another deck.

3 Swamp
4 Salt Marsh
5 Island
10 Forest
4 Urborg Elf
4 Phyrexian Lens
2 Vorosh, the Hunter
4 Lhurgoyf
4 Splinterfright
4 Wingcrafter
3 Apprentice Necromancer
4 Hapless Researcher

3 Bonehoard

3 Recoil
3 Ghastly Demise

Finally, with Hard Time Killing Floor Blues, I went to the binder to discover that I only had 2 Daze. This isn't enough for me to run countermagic and so I went with Rider's suggestion of Unstable Mutation. The deck has sped up and initial tests are good but they aren't overwhelming, yet. The Drifter though? That's been totally worth adding and I should probably consider a 3rd one, taking out a Spindrift Drake to make room.

2 Svyelunite Temple
19 Island
2 Saprazzan Skerry

4 Echoing Truth

2 Flying Men
3 Vexing Sphinx
3 Wormfang Drake
3 Thought Eater
2 Gossamer Phantasm
3 Spindrift Drake
3 Cloud of Faeries
2 Hunted Phantasm
2 Drifter il-Dal

3 Unstable Mutation
3 Curiosity
4 Standstill

No comments:

Post a Comment