Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bad play #1

Commander game, here's the situation:

Me; Szadek, Lord of Secrets vs. Scion of the Ur-Dragon and Korlash, Heir to Blackblade.

The Korlash player has been hit hard: has mana but one card in hand and only Korlash on the board. I know the bottom card on his deck is Horrifying End, so I can mill him out with Tunnel Vision if I can get to that stage of the game.

The Scion player has been having some trouble but, despite having an empty board, has Greater Good and Survival of the Fittest in play. He does some shenanigans and ends up with Keiga, the Tide Star and Hellkite Overlord. So he's rolling now.

In my hand is Vampiric Tutor, Traumatize and something that doesn't matter.

I Vampiric Tutor for Control Magic.

Now, I don't know what Korlash is doing but I've clearly seen the goal of Scion; he wants to dump dragons in his graveyard and recur them making everybody miserable.

My thought process? Steal Keiga, keep him off my back, Traumatize the Scion player, grind him down, win with Tunnel Vision on Korlash.

So I Tutor right past Leyline of the Void. The one card that nixes the whole strategy of the Scion player.

I cast Control Magic, the Keiga is sacrificed to Greater Good and he steals the only other creature on the board, Korlash.

Next turn, I cast Traumatize anyway, blindly following a strategy that I'd laid out, despite my initial plans not working out so well.

Later,later being the next turn, when the Scion player drew and cast Twilight's Call and swung at everyone for lethal damage, we laughed and I shrugged and that was that. I left, a nagging feeling that I'd blown it and not played my best at all, just unsure why.

Until I was driving home and realized; I had a chance to get Leyline of the Void, which means I totally fucked that game up. I lost because I was inflexible and didn't give myself enough time to work out what I needed. I had the tools, I just refused to use them.

One good thing that came from this is that I remembered that Twilight's Call exists, which is just the kind of thing that I want to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment