Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Twist In The Unreal

One Whelming Wave, added.

Removed: nothing. There's no point. Statistically, the difference between 60 and 61 cards isn't enough for me to consider removing something from a deck that's been working pretty well when adding a card like Whelming Wave that could really buttress everything that Safe In Mind is doing.

So: how'd it work out?

Well....I've been running into some of the drawbacks of not being able to play as often as I would like.

In a multiplayer game against Matt and Caitlin, I lost one game, won the second and I am fairly certain that I lost that first game in part because I used Whelming Wave too soon-it was my first line of defense, actually.

It shouldn't be. Sickening Dreams exists for a reason and I should prioritize elimination of threats, rather than repetition of them.

Because the Wave is for creatures I cannot easily kill. Not exactly a "last ditch" card but one I need to use carefully. 

In games against Noah, then Fuz, Whelming Wave did good stuff but again I'm having trouble sorting out the variance. I would often get so close to the board state I needed but couldn't quite get there.

My games against Lauriel were skewed and now I'm running up against the need of a sideboard. She was running a B/G deck with Stalker Hag and with that on the board, the functionality of Urborg Emissary as a bounce/blocker becomes severely limited, especially when I'm also facing down a Noxious Hatchling.

With a sideboard, I can probably handle this but without one....

Maybe a second Whelming Wave is required but now I should think about cutting a card.




No comments:

Post a Comment