Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Sometimes, This Is Dumb

Take a look at this hand:

I mean, this is just nonsense. Four Angel's Grace should technically be three more than I need.

Now, I get there is variance and sometimes things happen and and and

To which I say: OK, fine but do I really need four copies of Angel's Grace.

Because what Bonecrusher wants to do is flood the board with goblins and win via that horde. It's the secondary plan of using Skirk Fire Marshal/Mogg Maniac that I need Angel's Grace for.

Well that's the long game. Or at least the long game as played into a middle game because I don't want the game to go long.

Basically, it's a trick and I know it's a trick but it's also a trick that doesn't need to be pulled off until after my opponent has stabilized the board. If they don't stabilize then I'm in the clear. If they do, hit 'em on the roundabout.

So, -1 Angel's Grace, +1 Chained to the Rocks.

After multiple games with Noah, I have come to realize something: this deck just doesn't quite have what it takes. It isn't bad-and in aggro matchups, the game can be very interesting.

But game after game I found myself without a way to get ahead against non-red decks. Sometimes it was due to misplays-going for the glory of cool things instead of looking for the best play. Sometimes it was just not having an answer to a turn one Deathrite Shaman.  Sometimes, countermagic foiled my plans. One memorable game, I was in need of two sources of red by turn 3 and I had, instead, two Plains and a Battlefield Forge. This is despite retooling the manabase.

Bonecrusher is a deck that is on the edge: certainly an investment in more expensive mana would help. So might the use of Aether Vial or a little more removal, although I'm not sure what to cut.

I think it's time to move on. Got a couple interesting decks lined up that I've been meaning to have a go at, and there aren't interesting goblins happening in Ixalan so now is as good a time as any.

Current list:
2 Goblin King
3 Goblin Lackey
2 Goblin Matron
3 Goblin Ringleader
3 Mogg Maniac
3 Skirk Fire Marshal
2 Warren Instigator
2 Krenko, Mob Boss
3 Goblin Chieftain 
3 Chained to the Rocks 
4 Renewed Faith
3 Angel's Grace
2 Lightning Helix
3 Shelter 
4 Plains
11 Mountain
4 Clifftop Retreat
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Battlefield Forge
Final note: Hey, I meant to get this up last Thursday but I wanted to included the decklist and just had some scheduling snafus. Sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment