Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Kinds of Mistakes

A very good article at Starcity about the general kinds of mistakes made.

The third category of mistake is the one I find myself making frequently: the one where I just don't envision the consequences completely.

I didn't really have a name for it until now, but I like the way it's framed: What kind of mistake it is. Because I have found myself visualizing more plays as of late, trying to see my way out and not including all the necessary consequences.

Funny enough, I've started trying to map things out a little further while playing Star Realms. I frequently have to play the app version of the game (I don't know enough players in realtime!) and the available information is much greater, since you can tap on an opponent's deck and see what they have in it.

Nevertheless, it's a good game to practice the consequences exercise, especially since those consequences often show up soon but not immediately. Thinking about the future state a few turns from now, as opposed to right away is a worthy mental exercise and I hope that will help improve my game in both Star Realms and Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment