Thursday, June 7, 2018

Longshots

This was supposed to be a "Hey, red legends, right?" deck. I'm pretty sure I can do better than this initial sketc. But I must've known I wasn't playing with a great concept, or something I had a bend for, because I called this deck Longshots after a song by Sole and the Skyrider band.
3 Ruby Medallion 
3 Kumano, Master Yamabushi
3 Hateflayer
2 Tahngarth, Talruum Hero
4 Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
3 Urabrask the Hidden
1 Thundermare
          4 Pillage
4 Smoke
1 Uphill Battle 
4 Seething Song
4 Staggershock 
4 Ghitu Encampment
1 Hammerheim
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
18 Mountain
First things first: Smoke really belongs in a completely different deck. Probably one with creaturelands or artifacts that can become creatures temporarily, while tapping my opponent's creatures at will. Which isn't something Red does-although I'm pleased to see that I had recognized the usefulness of Ghitu Encampment already. I may have even tried to use Smoke to create a subtheme here, given the effects of Uphill Battle and Urabrask the Hidden, but I don't think it's working well.

That means a whole lot of things can change! And with Dominaria being out, there's bound to be some cool additions that can augment this deck to a better spot.

It also means that cards like Thundermare and Hateflayer aren't as thematically useful now. Still decent cards but I can't get as much out of them.

I feel like this deck presents me with an interesting challenge. Where can it go, since I can take it anywhere? What themes did past me try to create that I should work on? I'm going to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment