Thursday, September 27, 2018

Rats

Title comes from the Ghost song.
2 Murderous Redcap
2 Caldera Hellion
4 Ogre Slumlord
4 Ogre Battledriver
9 Relentless Rats
7 Rat Colony 
4 No Rest for the Wicked
1 Shared Animosity 
8 Mountain
4 Graven Cairns
7 Swamp
2 Mortuary Mire 
2 Cinder Barrens
3 Eliminate the Competition
1 Rolling Thunder
That's a super catchy song, right? Also, Rat Colony joins Ravenous Rats as one of the few cards that you can include any number of copies of. So the timing was right to revamp an old deck.

But rats are fragile, so I thought that a way to bring back those rats, or use the death of those rats to help forward the game plan were needed. Eliminate the Competition with No Rest For The Wicked seems like a nice set of synergies. Ogre Battledriver helps boost my tiny rats, with Ogre Slumlord giving me replacement (though only mildly synergistic) rats and adds deathtouch to all my rats, allowing me to keep the pressure on.

Murderous Redcap helps play into the recursion theme and Caldera Hellion can give me a sweeper with a big creature left over.

These are the theories, anyway.

Originally this deck was using the Devour mechanic. There was a very different list and the deck was called Octane. Here's the pre mortem:
10 Mountain
4 Graven Cairns
8 Swamp

1 Deathbringer Thoctar
2 Blistering Firecat
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Murderous Redcap
4 Thunder-Thrash Elder
4 Caldera Hellion
3 Dregscape Zombie
3 Hissing Iguanar
3 Mogg War Marshal
4 Bogardan Firefiend

4 No Rest for the Wicked
2 Urborg Justice
Now, while there is an idea there that I really felt I stuck to, it's just too narrow and not enough payoff. A lot of sacrifice fodder but not a lot of scary things to come from it. Which means that I should totally build a deck that is too narrow and HAS payoff, right?

Well, we shall see.

But I like that I have the rats to go on and am excited to get some matchups under my belt. It's been a little while since I had neat goofy deck to play. Will it work? Should Urborg Justice come back? Let's find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment