Thursday, July 11, 2019

That's Fine, But Take The Next Step

There was a rules announcement for the Transformers game on Monday. The gist of it is: You can only take ONE turn in a row using Peace Through Tyranny. Then you have to let your opponent go, even if you can chain together multiple turns.

Which...is fine, I guess? I'm more into cards doing what they say they would do, with the less outside clarification needed, the better. But this issue needed to be addressed and I'm glad they did. Errata for a card is an adequate solution but without the ability to easily call up said errata, I think they're setting things up for trouble later on-and not that much later, either.

Because I'm less worried about this specific ruling for Peace Through Tyranny (the ruling is OK but not what I would've done) and much more concerned about what this means for the health of the game at large. Rules disputes happen all the time. The ability to quickly resolve them without a judge is critical to getting players back to doing what they should be doing: playing the game.

Someone suggested that they will just update the PDF but that isn't enough, in my opinion. The pdf is 47 pages long right now, and while it's a searchable document, it's still unwieldly and currently doesn't reflect today's updated ruling. That page count will only get longer once Siege 1 is added and more questions need to be answered, plus it certainly isn't what I would call easily usable with today's technological capacities.

So c'mon Wizards. Let's get that database going!

No comments:

Post a Comment