Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Dinosaur Splash Damage

And now I'm back to Magic again-playing my Trypticon deck. I had some more robust games against Matt, who I believe better represents the general 'meta' of Magic.

Don't get my wrong: my friend Jason builds crazy, interesting decks but they're often weird. Weird is rare.

For example; the two decks I played against Matt were a riffs on more established types, using cards that we all know are pretty solid (Land Tax, Cabal Therapy, etc.), frequently involving a graveyard loop.

So here's where having the creature removal suite was relevant, and even Bojuka Bog became important. I had a few misplays in this respect: not leading with my discard spell before playing the Bog, for example, but I'm starting to get the hang of things. Still: Bojuka Bog gives me a little extra oomph with no real drawback.

I had initially thought that going to two Aether Snaps might be wise, however, the cool thing about Aether Snap is that it kills planeswalkers, in addition to helping me do what I want to do. There are more planeswalkers than ever now and this is a pretty sweet deal.

However. Aether Snap is limited and creature removal may be more necessary. I love that Aether Snap does well against go-wide token decks and planeswalkers while giving me a 20/20 in return, but I've held that card in my hand and not been able to deal with the slowly rising tide of creatures, desperately searching for a Languish.

Decisions decisions, right? I don't want to remove any copies of Vampire Hexmage, because it can allow for a turn three 20/20. Aether Snap is the weakest card by being expensive and situational. Maybe there's room for it in the sideboard?




No comments:

Post a Comment