Tuesday, October 11, 2022

0-2-1

Well, here's a bit of a slide from the last event. 

Rd 1 vs Derek on mono Red prison

G1: my first play was to get a Swamp, but the response was a turn one Blood Moon.

Unfortunately, the next three lands in my hand were a Verdant Catacombs and two Bayous. I could play nothing, while he cast Goblin Rabblemaster. I cut out before he could see what I was up to.

G2: There was a Chalice of the Void set to 1, then another on 2, and I was hanging on until I got a Pernicious Deed, which I cleared most of the board with. Then it was Apprentice, Chain to win.

G3: This time there was a turn two Chalice on 2 and every card in my hand cost 2. I cast a Once Upon A Time in response, saw 2 Pernicious Deeds in the top five and thought: Uh-oh, I’m not going to see another one. I didn’t and that was that.

What I didn't do: Sideboard in Abrupt Decay. That card solves my Chalice problem, along with just about any other problem that deck can resolve and I didn't realize this until after the fact. Next time!

Rd 2 vs Ryan on 4c Control w/Minsc & Boo.
G1: He didn’t seem to get much board presence, and eventually I whittled his hand down to a Chain of Smog on him-which he countered, letting me Chain myself to win. Unfortunately, I don't think I saw a nonland permanent from him this game, so I wasn't sure what to do and merely boarded in three copies of Choke.

G2: This was a grinder of a match. We traded removal and creatures but eventually he got the better of me. He had Uro to recur, so I switched up my sideboard to include Leyline.

G3: While I had the opening Leyline hand, my follow up didn't include enough pressure. He answered my threats but I was able to answer his and eventually, we went to time. Still, interesting match!

Rd 3 vs Chris on UW/r control
Game 1: Not much. Just got Narcet/Days Undoing’d. 

Game 2: I got stuck on two lands. While my turn two and three Hymns did what they were supposed to, I couldn’t draw anything else to help me. Eventually Narcet arrived and I didn't have any pressure. When Day's Undoing was cast on my turn after I drew, that was that. 

I'm not sure I sideboarded well in that last match; I knew my Sudden Edicts didn't matter but would Leyline have been a good decision? It seems like the Day's Undoing decks are notoriously light on threats and many rely on resources coming back from the graveyard. 

That second game I conceded, my opponent didn't win. He might've, given enough time but perhaps if I had been looking for a hand that targeted my opponent's deck's weaknesses I might've hung in there.

Mostly this evening felt like I had some bad luck. Aside from missing the Abrupt Decay vs Chalice interaction I didn't miss anything. Teferi is still a problem and the white removal suite (Swords to Plowshares/Prismatic Ending) is a grinder. I wish I had an answer to that. 

Thragtusk might actually be helpful if I could ramp up mana, but what was suggested to me was Thrun the Last Troll.

It can't be countered and it can't be targeted. Can this do what I need it to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment