Thursday, February 9, 2012

Born Again Idiot

So we'll start with: what's wrong with this? (Aside from the name, which I think implies that I knew something was askew here.)
3 Kami of Ancient Law
4 Ember-Fist Zubera
4 Floating-Dream Zubera
4 Silent-Chant Zubera
2 Hearth Kami

4 Reach Through Mists
3 Candles' Glow
4 Glacial Ray
4 Order / Chaos

4 Long-Forgotten Gohei
2 Wayfarer's Bauble

2 Gemstone Mine
3 Coastal Tower
4 Island
5 Plains
8 Mountain
I'll save you some time: it's difficult to close the deal. This deck has small, utility creatures with little way to win the game once it gets to turn four, and no way to win the game before turn four. It's possible I could get the boost from the Gohei and/or make my Arcane spells cheap enough to finish the game but...

I started this deck as a Zuberi deck, hoping that there would be ways to extend the concept; creatures that give you bonuses when they (and others of their kind) die. There was but only in blue and red, and the creatures' color cost was too difficult for a deck like this to pull off. So other spirits got added in, because they work with the Gohei and once the Gohei went in, adding Arcane spells were just the obvious choice.

I built this deck in 2004 and that is a long, long time to hold on to a deck that isn't exactly tearing up the raceway. Still, that's what I do if the concept seems interesting to me, because someday things work out.

Enter Drogskol Captain. It flies, it's in the right colors and it gives +1 and hexproof to my creatures. This is the jackpot, as far as I can tell; I've just doubled up my Goheis, increased my threat count, made targeted removal problematic and put in a creature that's difficult to block.

So -4 Order/Chaos and +4 Drogskol Captain. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment