Thursday, February 6, 2014

Laserbeak

When Invasion came out, Juntu Stakes was printed and I thought: yeah, that's cool. Then Apocalypse arrived with Fervent Charge and I thought: you know, if I combine this with Meekstone, the deck practically builds itself! Bunch of 2/x creatures and I know mine will always be bigger than theirs. Anything that isn't can only attack once! It's foolproof!

I thought it was pretty clever and I think that this was my first 'soft lock' deck. I still think this is a decent idea but times have changed quite a bit. It's time to give Laserbeak (named because I thought the color scheme fit, in a "I don't really understand fashion" way) a retooling.

Also, while searching for a Laserbeak image, I came across a whoooole lot of Laserbeaks from Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

Fuck those things. They are accelerating the downfall of humanity. Fuck them hard.
2 Dusk Imp
3 Spectral Lynx
2 Erg Raiders
2 Orzhov Guildmage
3 Wildfire Emissary
2 Boros Guildmage
3 Outrider en-Kor
3 Radiant's Dragoons
2 Fallen Askari
3 Fledgling Djinn
          4 Fervent Charge
4 Juntu Stakes
4 Meekstone

4 Terramorphic Expanse
7 Swamp
6 Plains
6 Mountain
So there we have it. And all this remained unchanged until very recently, when, after looking at Imposing Sovereign for the fifth time, the light bulb went off.

Those are more useful than Orzhov Guildmage or Dusk Imp, so in they went. But now what?

I've been goldfishing this deck a little bit and while I like it, it's still missing something. The theme has kept the focus of this deck but now I feel it's too narrow. If I don't get both Juntu Stakes and Meekstone, the deck doesn't work out so well. But if I just get Meekstone, I've got a chance.

Which means Juntu Stakes is holding the deck back. The thing is, there are a whole lot more cards that decrease the power of a creature than there were before. Juntu Stakes belongs in a different deck (perhaps one called Smaller and Smaller) and this means I can open up not only my creature selection to useful creatures with only 1 power, but also include spells that might help push this deck forward.

The first thing that comes to mind is a spell like Smother, but Glimpse the Sun God might be a consideration too. And while I wanted to keep 1 power creatures tapped in order to stunt token making decks, Outmaneuver might be the surprise that lulls opponents into playing more recklessly than they should. Only thing to do is start testing. To the test booth, Robin!

No comments:

Post a Comment