Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Gahiji's Encampment

I think I need to institute a new rule: count the cards in every deck. When I went through Gaiji, I found an Island. Then I made changes. Then I discovered I was short a Darksteel Mutation. What the hell?

I suppose this is just part of the risks of having so many decks; shit gets mixed up from time to time. So, new rule in place: Card Count, then everything else.

Now that I've established that, it's time to admit I did some research. Yes, I went to Reddit's r/EDH sub and did a search for Gahiji as a commander. Most of the decks wanted to produce tokens and that wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. I also posted this deck in the r/casualmagic sub and got some ideas like Bedlam and Avatar of Slaughter. I like those ideas but I'm not sure if I have the defensive cards to back them up.

So I went looking for them. No Ghostly Prison or Norn's Annex to be found, all at use in another deck. I did find the Archon Brothers though, Blazing and Vengeful, and thought those would make for excellent: look away (or rattlesnake) cards.

In:
Auramancer, Mob Rule, Wickerbough Elder, Sight of the Scalelords, Vengeful Archon, Blazing Archon, Atarka Pummeler, Tilling Treefolk, Shamanic Revelation, Rampant Growth, Llanowar Reborn and Windstorm.

Out :
Witch Hunt, Mystic Barrier, One Dozen Eyes, Fireball, Druidic Satchel, Witchbane Orb, Archangel, Kabria Vindicator, Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Mayael the Anima, Khalni Garden.

One thing I noted was that there are a fair amount of solid enchantments in this deck. The creatures are the victory path, yes there are good enchantments here, so Auramancer became an easy solution.

The rest is not perfect but I think this is a step up, especially with more enchantment/artifact removal and the ability to selectively eliminate hordes of fliers.There are more card drawing effects and I'm hoping that Shamanic Revelation will be especially good. Tilling Treefolk seems like a strange card but I saw that six of my lands cycled and many more are subject to the destruction of From the Ashes. Being able to reclaim a couple lands should be very useful.

The card I'm most interested in is Sight of the Scalelords. Vigilance is always a strong ability but in multiplayer it gets even better. The +2/+2 is a nice bonus, I won't deny that but as with the Archon Bros, Sight gives me a way to warn people off of attacking me. If that card works well, I can definitely see using  Avatar of Slaughter to really make things aggressive.

Time to test it out.




No comments:

Post a Comment