Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Brothers' War Burnout (Or, 1-3)

Last Friday's matchups:

Matt & I playing Legacy

Round 1 vs Scott playing Dark Depths Lands


Scott was a new player, so he was a little inexperienced with his deck but a good sport with his game.

Game 1: I got a Thrun and Confidant out, and with some light removal cleared the way to win.

Game 2: I was worried when his T1 Duress took my Pernicious Deed, but I was able to follow my game up with an Apprentice and then a Smog, and combo out before his turn 3 Marit Liege

Rd 2 vs Sol on Helm/Leyline combo

Games one and two went the same: By turn 3 his Profane Tutor and Urza’s Saga had gone off, and he was able to activate Helm of Obedience with a Leyline of the Void to mill me out.

In retrospect, I needed to mulligan to my combo-or at least one of two pieces of it-because I think my deck can be faster than his.

Match 3 vs Brandon playing Death & Taxes

Rd 1: My Apprentice was Sworded, as was my Confidant, which lead to a board of white creatures doing their thing, including a Jitte with 6 counters on it that I couldn’t stop.

Rd 2: I had a Confidant and a Deed-but both of these were eliminated by Skyclave Apparition away and…well I couldn’t do anything else.

Sigh. Brandon drew all four of his Rishadan Ports that game, so it would've been a slog at best.

Match 4 vs Derek on Goblin Prison

Game 1: Goblins rushed me out.

Game 2: I got a Thrun the Last Troll out and that blanked his removal so I swung in.

Game 3: I had a good opening hand, and Abrupt Decay’d 2 Goblin Rabblemasters but couldn’t get a 3rd land for a Pernicious Deed to remove the Goblin tokens. I dead.

..........

The previews for the Brothers' War are all a go and I...am so very bored. 

I know this happens every so often, and it happens to everyone sometimes but I am both a little bit burnt out on Magic in general, and apathetic towards the newest set. 

Part of this undoubtedly is coming from the bad blood WotC has generated with the Magic 30 set, part of this is coming from focusing on a Legacy format that is stagnant, and part of it has to do with the Brothers' War. 

Because hoboy is that boring. The fight-a squabble between overpowered brothers effectively over whose dick is bigger-holds zero interest for me. That one brother is eventually 'corrupted' by the Phyrexians doesn't mean much to me, since both of them are jerks. 

Then there's the set itself: I understand that it's trying to give us "battlecruiser Magic" in a mechanically on point way, much like Rise of the Eldrazi did back in the day. However, every bonus being a powerstone-even Red and Green get them, and for those colors powerstones are just not part of their character, especially Green-feels tiresome. It might play well but from out here, I am not excited about it.

I don't like Meld cards. I didn't like them in Eldrich Moon and they hold no sway for me here. Which means the big reveal of this set is something I dislike. I don't even think these cards do anything interesting; they're just wrecking balls. 

It feels like a letdown from Neon Dynasty, Streets of New Capena and Dominaria United. 

On to of all that, I think I just am tired. There's circumstances around me contributing to this, to be sure, some of it just having too much Magic content and not enough actual fun. But whatever it is, I'm all over the place, disjointed and at least a little sad.

So I'm gonna pivot for a little bit. I have recently received all of the Warhammer 40000 Conquest cards made up by Team Apoka which means my collection is complete!

It also means I have a chance to build new decks and with Thanksgiving coming up, that will mean an opportunity to play a whole lot of Conquest games with Jason! I already have more Magic decks than 10 people might need; building Conquest decks to play over Thanksgiving is going to be a nice break. 

So from now until then, new Conquest decks! Revised Conquest decks! And a review of the Brothers' War which I'm sure will be a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment