Thursday, October 20, 2011

Die, Die My Darling

The name taken from the classic Misfits love song.
2 Confiscate
2 Faith's Fetters
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Aura of Silence
2 Seal of Doom
2 Mythic Proportions
3 Persecute
3 Conjurer's Ban
3 Cabal Therapy
2 Nightmare Void
1 Tithe

2 Nantuko Husk
4 Academy Rector
4 Phyrexian Ghoul

2 Orzhov Basilica
8 Swamp
4 Caves of Koilos
8 Plains
1 Salt Flats
1 Enlightened Tutor
4 Sensei's Divining Top
I bet you're looking at this and thinking: What a goddamn mess. That's probably not an inaccurate assessment.

Nevertheless, this deck is fun as hell to play. Sensei's Divining Top keeps the off-color cards out of my hand, the Ghouls and the Cabal Therapys let me kill off Academy Rector and swing for up to 12 with trample, or tutor for a card I need, Tithe lets me shuffle, Aura of Silence can be put to work vs heavy artifact/enchantment decks and to top it all off, cards like Persecute help keep the opponent from disrupting things, or slow them down enough that I can assemble the combo and in the case of Nightmare Void, let's me mill the top two cards, if they are unnecessary, so I can dig deeper with the Top.

Until recently there probably wasn't much I could do to make this deck a lot better but looking at it now, two cards stand out and being something I should keep in mind: Eldrazi Conscription and Debtor's Knell.

Eldrazi Conscription is better for two reasons; Colorless, so if I get the mana I can just cast the creature and board impact, which is just bigger than Mythic Proportions.

Debtor's Knell is interesting because it creates a larger problem for my opponents in the long game but it's also probably best in multiplayer. A deck like this one wants to combo out pretty quickly and while swinging for 12 in a turn is frequently the beginning of a quick end for most, assembling that combo isn't always doable. But with the discard, Debtor's Knell takes on some interesting roles and could help give this deck some steel in the spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment