Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Modern Nightmare

I mentioned attending a Modern tournament last time so I thought that for the final look at this deck, it might be neat to see how I changed it to make it Modern legal. For reference, here is what the original deck looks like now:
10 Swamp
9 Plains
4 Fetid Heath

4 Dark Ritual
2 Mortify
4 Unmake
2 Zealous Persecution

3 Kingpin's Pet
4 Deathbringer Liege
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
3 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Edge of the Divinity

3 Gerrard's Verdict
And it's still a good deck. Granted, my testing last weekend was against Fuz's GW Aura deck again, which wasn't as informative as I would have liked but I know from previous tests, this is at least a solid build. It's just not Modern legal, so here's what I did:
8 Swamp
7 Plains
4 Fetid Heath
4 Godless Shrine

3 Mortify
3 Unmake
4 Zealous Persecution

2 Kingpin's Pet
4 Deathbringer Liege
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
4 Tidehollow Sculler

4 Edge of the Divinity

3 Duress
And, for the first time, a Sideboard:

4 Torpor Orb-for the Splinter Twin/Birthing Pod matchups
4 Castigate-vs RUW Control, or any situation where my creature kill wasn't useful
3 Sudden Spoiling-vs Affinity or other creature rush decks
4 Oblivion Ring-vs Planeswalkers or anything else that my regular removal would miss.

I wanted to push the discard elements a little more and Zealous Persecution has the benefit of killing a whole of of X/1 creatures, including Snapcaster Mage and Dark Confidant, along with a pretty good chunk of Affinity's team, so I tweaked the numbers to give me more creature removal, even though that meant taking out some of the neat stuff. Having to cast Deathbringer Liege on turn five is a little less 'In Your Face' than casting it turn two but you do what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment