Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Realest of the Real

Fuz hit me with a tribal spirits deck that sent Monster Man scrambling, until I activated Recurring Nightmare and realized I had forgotten to update my list with Massacre Wurm. That was grumbly.

I played the match out anyway but the fact of the matter is, I have trouble with swarms and fliers. Wall of Roots is meant to help with the swarms problem, as would Satyr Wayfinder, but the flying part? Not so much.

Of course the games afterward were a different story, as you can see below. Turns out, Massacre Wurm is bad for tiny creatures.

This was also a matchup where I was testing Sidisi, Undead Viser and I felt fairly underwhelmed by the card. Fuz was similarly unimpressed and while we didn't have much more in the way of ideas beyond: fourth Recurring Nightmare or a second Body Snatcher, they did seem marginally better. More testing should be done with Sidisi but I'm not too hopeful.

Which is a bummer, because I was really hoping Sidisi could serve as that all-purpose tool. It doesn't seem to be paying off just yet but I'm not giving up on it just yet.

I'm in a very nitpicky stage with Monster Man right now. Yes, Carrion Beetles could be Withered Wretch. Is it worth keeping Wickerbough Elder when Acidic Slime does what I need it to do? So many little decisions and tweaks to make in a deck that is supposed to provide an answer to everything. I need to let go of the idea of doing everything and remember to focus on doing one thing.



2 comments:

  1. Acidic Slime> Wickerbough Elder
    scavenging ooze>carrion beetles
    -1 uktabi orangutan, +1 lotleth troll, for discard effect
    +1 Eternal Witness
    -1 Nekrataal, +1 Shriekmaw

    consider: brutalizer exarch, entomber exarch, priest of gix, reveillark
    ( priest + recurring nightmare)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are some good ideas! Thanks. The Exarchs are something I really overlooked.

      Delete