Tuesday, July 27, 2021

High Fliers

Commander Ur-Dragon vs Yurion
Bringing the Ur-Dragon with updates (mostly! I didn't have a card so Fortunate Few stayed in because removal is always good to have) my opponents were:

Caitlin: Tana, the Bloodsower and Ravos Soultender

Matt: Hazezon Tamar

Lauriel: Mimeoplasm 

I got out to a quick start, with Farseek getting me the mana I needed to put a Deathbringer Regent into play. From there it was easy to scale up with a Temur Ascendancy and a Frontier Siege. These enchantments kept me in cards and kept opponent's stuff off the battlefield. 

It was starting to look like I might run away with things before Matt put a Humility on the battlefield and then the game halted like Ep 5 of Falcon & The Winter Soldier. 

Which is how it was until I got a Dragon Tempest out. A card that works under Humility is pretty good. 

So despite everyone having all the mana and no reasons to play creatures, I was still able to get in chip damage. Even Wrath of God couldn't stop my beats and once I took Matt out and his Humility with him, attacking with Dragons meant that Lauriel could be defeated, and Caitlin in short order after that.

That feels pretty good. 

A week later, I ran this out against Caitlin on the same deck, and Matt running Merieke Ri Berit

Dragons did dragon things. I feel like this is very much how Commander should feel: I am casting insanely stupid expensive big critturs and I don't know why anyone isn't doing that. 

Dragon's Hoard has been a rockstar for this deck. Mana fixing and the opportunity to cash in card draws in the later game when resources get tight? Yeah, that's helpful. I think I had my doubts about it initially-a mana rock is rarely something to be excited about. But the Hoard has proven its worth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment