Tuesday, December 14, 2021

On Victory

There's an interesting point being made in this article. (Thanks to Matt for sending it along!)

See, I find myself losing a lot. It can get a bit rough because losing at things you like can be hard on the soul. 

Still, I find that I lose frequently-and not just at Magic. I like games in general: I am not good at them. Videogames especially point this out: I see many, many 'game over' screens. Bloodborne is possibly one of the most punishing games I've ever put myself through-but you only have to succeed at the Bloodborne bosses once, and then you can start taking shortcuts.

Makes those losses not seem so bad but I still lost a lot. This is true of every videogame I play and it's one of the reasons I shy away from multiplayer games. I don't need to be berated for being bad-I know I'm bad. 

I like to brew beer and, after almost two decades of doing it, I'm okish at it. I won't win competitions but I made good enough beer that I can enjoy it. 

I've been writing since I was 15 and I'm not sure how successful one could say I have been at it, with two blogs to my name and zero dollars. 

But you don't have to be perfect at something to make an impact. You don't have to be perfect to win. You don't even have to be perfect to have a good time. Those are all different things and some of them are just about choices that get made about how you experience the game.

I want to keep that in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment