Thursday, August 3, 2023

0-3-1

So here's how things went:

Match 1 vs Connor, Cephalid Breakfast

Game 1: He had a T2 Stoneforge Mystic to fetch the Shuko, and a turn 3 Illusionist. The triggers happened and he won via Thassa's Oracle

Game 2: I was able to get out a Buccaneer while he set up, and got him down to 10, but knowing he had an Illusionist in hand, I tapped out to Reforge the Soul, as I had one card in hand.

He discarded the illusionist, but drew into another one and that was it.

Match 2 vs Shawn on D&T

Game 1: Samwise was used to recur Wasteland and take care of my mana base in short order. Though I was able to use Bowmasters to take out a Thalia and a Sam, I didn’t have removal for the Stoneforge Mystic that brought Kaldra Compleat into play, nor a response for the Karakas bouncing my Tourach.

Game 2: I played two Burning Inquiries which lead to me drawing 11 of my 22 lands.

Things did not go well after that.

Match 3 vs Ben on Sharkstill

Game 1: My deck did the thing! I had Buccaneer out and with a wheel effect, did enough damage to win.

Game 2: When he cast The Wandering Emperor, I realized I had sideboarded incorrectly; he had too many basic lands for Blood Moon to be relevant. The moon took me off BB which I needed for multiple cards in hand, and that was enough for him to take the edge.

Game 3: I made a huge mistake on turn 4, when I had a Plague Engineer out on Servo to keep the Retrofitter Foundry in check. I swing in, not realizing that he had enough mana to make a 2/2 Construct token via Urza's Saga for us to trade.

“Well, I’ll just draw another!”

I did not draw another.

My last game was against Matt, who is a buddy I play with frequently. He runs a Parfait variant that he's been working on for years so I know the matchup well.

In the first game he was able to create all the construct tokens and won.  

So I just brought in four Meltdowns and proceeded to do one-sided boardwipes when I could. Unfortunately, it still took me a long time to get there and while I won that game, we had one minute to play a third and tied. 

What did I learn?

First; four copies of Reforge the Soul are too many. I'll be cutting one, since this isn't a card I want to see in my opening grip.

Second, as much as I like Waste Not, I just don't know that I can spend time setting up like that. Against non-Blue prison style decks, sure but there are just better things to be doing and I should find them. Because there are a lot of Blue decks on Fridays. 

Third, it might be worth incorporating Wastelands into this deck. As a two color deck, the drawback should be minimal. Similarly, Geiger Reach Sanitarium might have a place.

Finally, I'm not certain Blood Moon is not the answer I need in the sideboard. In all of my matchups, graveyard removal would've been just as, if not more useful. Certainly, the Dauthi Voidwalkers represented issues when they were out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment