Tuesday, August 15, 2023

3-1

Quite the turnaround, right?

Rd 1 vs Ryan on dredge

Game 1: I got to see the deck in action, as he used Ichorids to create Cabal Therapy fodder and make 8 zombie tokens and a Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis.

Game 2: He vomited a portion of his library into his graveyard on his turn 1, and on my next turn I put out a Dauthi Voidwalker. That gave me enough time to get creatures on the board and pressure him down.

I did miss a Dark Confidant trigger, and that ended up costing me-the judge ruled I should resolve the ability after I’d drawn (and I’d drawn a land) but the next card was Sheoldred. Four needless damage in a matchup that could have easily gone the other way. 

Game 3: His turn 1 was great, putting a Troll into the GY after a Faithless Looting that had been flashed back. My turn 1 was Bojuka Bog.

After that, he was in topdeck mode and I was putting permanents into play, until I got a Sheoldred and an Orcish Bowmasters out. Then I was able to double Burning Inquiry into the win.

First win!

Rd 2 vs Robin on Yorion 4 color C

Game 1: I got put down by a Minsc and Boo. Really good card is good. 

Game 2: Blood Moon on turn 3 let me play my cards, and Robin was locked out of the game at that point. I was able to press the advantage.

Game 3: while I had a Dauthi Voidwalker, a Liliana and a Blood Moon, Robin was able to hang in there with a Teferi and The One Ring. They played to their outs by getting basic lands on the table as fast as they could, so were still able to interact-just slower. Once they were able to Minsc and Boo out my Liliana (the turn before ultimate!) and I drew 3 lands in a row, there was no coming back for me.

Tough loss but Robin earned it. 

Rd 3 vs Brandon on Merfolk

Game 1: Tide Shaper turned my Badlands into an Island which meant he got free attacks in until I died. I had a hand full of removal, but didn’t draw into any action.

Game 2: I was able to resolve a Plague Engineer to stabilize the board. At 3 life I played a Bowmasters to take out the lords that kept his army boosted. He conceded after that.

Game 3: Bowmasters on deck: they did work with Burning Inquiry to keep his army down, and I was able to get the concession shortly after.

Rd 4 vs Chris on Yorion Grixis control

Game 1: I got pushed out by his card draw and multiple Thoughtsieze.

Game 2: With two Dauthi Voidwalkers out, I was able to press my advantage. He made a critical mistake, trying to Bowmaster my Voidwalker and block it, forgetting it had shadow. I was able to close the game shortly after.

Game 3: Chris was stuck on two lands, so I grew an Army off a Bowmaster to 4, via Burning Inquiry. With the Lighting Bolts blanked, and a Buccaneer to add to the damage, and was able to win after that!

Here's my takeaways:

First, it's fucking hard to win games of Magic. I am realizing that people really have to focus on the game as all but a full time job if they want to reach winning records with regularity. 

That's OK, but also it feels pretty damn gratifying to post a winning record. 

Second: I absolutely had good matchups. My deck is practically pre-engineered to create problems for graveyard based strategies or typal decks. On the one hand: I won matches that I should have. On the other: there is so damn much blue-based control out there that it's hard to pull those matches out.

Still, week two's showing was pretty good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment