Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Who holds the hand of doom today?

The problem with considering changes to a long-standing deck is finding out if the new ideas are worth a damn.

Dilemma 1: Hull Breach vs. Indrik Stomphower.

Pros; Stomphowler is a large body that can win the game. Cons; it has to destroy something so if there are no other targets on the board, I lose an Aether Flash.

Dilemma 2: Kavu Lair vs. Garruk's Packleader.

I pretty much discussed this last time but it bears considering that both these 4/4 creatures are expensive and become difficult to evaluate in this deck's context; do I increase the threat density to just over 30% or do I keep the costs down?

For testing, it's probably not worth it to split the difference but I am anyway, trying on one Packleader and one Stomphowler, just to see.

Of course one change has already been made: while at Portal games yesterday, I found a Spellbreaker Behemoth for .50. 

Two things here; 1) every store should have a .50 rare box. Seriously. 2) Spellbreaker Behemoth is going to be better in my deck than Rumbling Slum because having those creatures resolve is more important than doing 1 damage during my upkeep.

On to the matchups:

Mobile Shooting Gallery preformed as I expected it would; awesome against people who are playing little creatures and less awesome against cheap creatures with high toughness values.

But what creatures are cheap that have high toughness values?

Walls. That's right; part of my matchups was against Fuz's Wall-finity deck. His deck is pretty interesting because it skews the normal method of using creatures-attacking-in order to create a defensive zone long enough to blow his opponents out.

The games that I won vs the Wall-finity, I won because I had either a) a 5/5 on turn two or I hit six mana and was able to cast Crater Hellion.

But most games I noticed I was sitting at three or five mana. I could make four temporarily but doing so wouldn't move my board position so it was better to sit on the mana until I could hit six. Six mana was what I needed to clear the board and get going but I just couldn't do it.

So I'm not sure where to go from here; do I accept my good matchups and bad ones? That might be the best choice, in order to keep from going insane.

One bad thing; neither the Stomphowler or Packleader came up in any of the games, so I have no idea if they're effective, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment