Tuesday, June 25, 2013

League Day 1 Results

mirror board
This was the most amusing part of league for me: in my round 4, game 1 against Scott, our first four turns were identical: Swamp, Swamp, Mountain: cast Heavy Mattock, Plains. At some point I think Scott, who played second, was copying my plays just because he could.

I eventually chose the G/B/w/r configuration after a great deal of thought. The Blue just wasn't strong enough to justify inclusion.

My record was 3-2 for the day and while I feel pretty good about that I also know that there were at least two games where I looked at my opening hand and thought; I could do better, but let's keep this. This is a strange form of overconfidence: I don't take what is but actually project what could be and then assume I will be able to make it work from there.

Sealed doesn't work like that. I have to be confident in my opening hand. When I was, or even better, my opponents weren't confident, I won and when I wasn't, games were a struggle. Nonetheless, with that record I should be well positioned to stay in the race to win League. I don't want to get ahead of myself, though since confidence will take me farther than ego.

Also, I may have to find time to take short walks between rounds, because that will help keep my head in the game!

Finally, look at this shit, from my Return to Ravnica pack:

Palisade Giant
Daggerdrome Imp
Druid's Deliverance
Axebane Guardian
Savage Surge
Doorkeeper
Downsize
Inspiration
Traitorous Instinct
Slitherhead
Sluceway Scorpion
Izzet Staticaster
Spawn of Rix Maadi
Rakdow Guildgate
Swamp

Man. 3 Blue cards and only Downsize is good. The rare (Palisade Giant) is awful coupled with my other White cards. One black card and while I am glad to have something replace Sightless Ghoul, I really wish I had more options. The Green...I just don't know what to make out of. Lastly, of the gold cards, only Sluceway Scorpion and Slitherhead really want to bridge colors I feel are strong.

What I do know, though, is that I have to start all over, as if I was building a brand new deck. Only that mentality will help me build the best deck with the cards I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment