Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hexagram

There are very few Deftones songs that hit as hard as Hexagram does. Given my tastes in music, it probably won't come as much of a surprise that I love that song. There's no connection between the song to the idea of this deck, though. I tend to do that a lot; if I can't get an easy/inspired connection then I just pick a song I'm listening to a whole lot at the time. It's been awhile since I broke out this deck, which I think will become clear as I explain how it works. With Theros's enchantment-theme coming up, I figured this would be a good time to revisit it, so it will be fresh in my mind, when the goodies from the new set arrive. If there's an interesting addition, I want to be on top of it.
3 Rancor
4 Enchantress's Presence
2 Ancestral Mask
4 Words of Wind
2 Still Life
2 Veiled Sentry
3 Spreading Seas
3 Seal of Removal
4 Eladamri's Vineyard
2 Seal of Primordium
2 Verduran Enchantress
3 Metathran Elite
3 Yavimaya Enchantress

4 Breeding Pool
9 Island
10 Forest
This deck was initially constructed when mana burn could happen. For those unfamiliar with the term, "mana burn" was when a player would take damage at the end of a phase, for any unspent mana left in their pool. So, against a non-green deck, Eladamri's Vineyard could get in some extra points of damage.

Since the rules have been changed to eliminate mana burn (for the better, I think) that won't work however, the free mana is still a good thing for the combo that this deck wants to use to win:

With Words of Wind and a Verduran Enchantress or Enchantress's Presence on the table, I want to play an enchantment, skip the extra draw and force everyone to bounce something. With enough resources, I should be able to replay my stuff faster than my opponents, and creating an unblockable Metathran Elite or a huge Yavimaya Enchantress should allow me the win.

So I've tried to make everything work with those lines.Via floating mana from the Vineyard, I could do something like play Rancor and skip the draw without tapping any land at all. If I have another Rancor to bounce, I could just as easily play that again. Spreading Seas allows me to draw and to potentially stall an opponent by stunting their mana, Seal of Primordium is my concession to the decks I face that have those crazy artifact or enchantment combos.

Still Life is probably unnecessary now. Added as a mana sink for the Vineyard, it doesn't really serve all the purposes it needed to and I could add in more Seal of Removal, Spreading Seas or Veiled Sentry. It also might be a good space for something more defensive in nature, giving me time to set up the combo. Propaganda would be the obvious choice, except I'm using it elsewhere. However, this is a perfect opportunity to try something new, and I have a pretty clear choice of what to take out, so I feel good about my starting point.


No comments:

Post a Comment