Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Curse You Virulent Sliver! or RTFC

What a hot mess this game was for me. I'm playing Lauriel who has Sliver Queen as her commander and that means rush deck with lots of synergies. Going in I think I can handle it but I am wrong and I am wrong because of Virulent Sliver.

Game one went well: I was able to cast Ashen Rider, then Life's Finale to remove both her Civic Saber and Chromatic Lantern. From there, Karador became cheap to cast and Ashen Rider got to be used for a third time. Removing three permanents from the game in as many turns hurts. 

Game two, pictured, found me having mana issues and up against a Virulent Sliver coupled with a Bonesplinter Sliver, and thus eating 10 points of poison damage from +2/0'd slivers.

In game three, I realized that we'd been misreading Virulent Sliver. I only had to see the card three times to recognize that the ability was a triggered one! Of course, by the time I figured that out, I'd taken 3 poison damage in one swipe and was soon confronted with a horde of slivers, the Virulent protected by Crypt Sliver, which I can handle with my Dark Hatchling, and Swiftfoot Boots which I can't do a damn thing about.

In the end it didn't matter because I didn't draw a sixth land to cast Dark Hatchling anyway but push comes to shove, I have to admit that I lost both of those games because I was playing too quickly, letting my mind wander away from what it should have been doing and more on what I needed to do later.

I need to prepare better. I take nothing away from Lauriel and her victory, I merely accept that my mind was less on my process and the running of the game, and more on the 'what next?' question. That question took my attention away from what I needed to focus on-specifically, How Does Virulent Sliver Work?-and my game suffered as a result.

Next time, I will be ready. For now, Karador stays the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment