Thursday, April 21, 2016

Eject

Sometimes, the simplest things are best. Everyone's rediscovering that in Standard right now with mono-W decks, so let's follow that theme.
4 Vedalken Outlander
2 Azorius Guildmage
2 Lyev Skyknight
2 Augury Adept
4 Thistledown Liege
4 Zealous Guardian
1 Sky Spirit
2 Tempest Drake

3 Stand // Deliver
3 Enervate
3 Impulse

4 Oblivion Ring
4 Steel of the Godhead

9 Plains
9 Island
2 Azorius Chancery
1 Nimbus Maze
1 Flooded Strand
Named for the Transformer (because the color scheme matched) this is my U/W Liege deck.

I love Liege decks. All of them. They're so straightforward and yet so clever. I've got ten and I probably could've just done a year of those...

But to the point: Here's a deck that could use some love. The last little bit of attention I gave this was briefly during the Return to Ravnica era (Lyev Skyknight) and even then it wasn't much. I want to keep the Sky Spirit and Temptest Drakes because they're remarkably efficient for their cost in those colors, especially given the era they were printed in. Plus, old school awesomeness is a reason to run Liege decks.

The nice thing about the allied-colored Lieges is that I only need to come up with UW creatures to maximize the Liege's effectiveness, opening up a whole lot more spells than many of the enemy-Liege decks. Admittedly this has to do with the power of the Mimics vs the Duos, on top of how the lieges of each category work. Still, the lack of a good duo for Eject (or any allied colored liege) means that I can run cards like Oblivion Ring for it's raw power, instead of worrying about if I can get a trigger off of it.

Since this deck is so aggressive, I didn't bother with countermagic and instead opted for removal and stall (Enervate) along with the standard 'Blue is awesome at card draw' stuff. Also, given the Flash abilities of the Guardian and Liege, I may look for more UW creatures with flash. Increasing the redundancy of the the tap abilities of the Skyknight is another option. This is a really weird aggro deck-and let's not mistake it for anything else-because while it still wants to get in there and attack for a lot of damage, getting rid of the creatures isn't quite as important and simply nullifying their ability to block.

See also: Steel of the Godhead. But because it's an aggro deck, that means that I have to look for efficient creatures and that isn't what U/W usually does best. Fortunately, I've got 20+ years of Magic to pick through, so I'm sure I'll find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment