Thursday, March 7, 2013

Jetfire

Built in response to a deck Fuz made called Nip/Tuck deck (which I'll talk about during Orzhov week, because it lead to a Holy Cow thing) my goal was to make something that could outrace it (both the Holy Cow deck and Fuz's.)

That goal was insane, but I tried it anyway.
8 Forest
8 Mountain
4 Fire-Lit Thicket
1 Copperline Gorge
3 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Burning-Tree Shaman
4 Wild Cantor
2 Radha, Heir to Keld
4 Boartusk Liege
3 Boggart Ram-Gang
4 Tattermunge Maniac
3 Jund Hackblade

4 Wildsize
4 Psychotic Fury
3 Sudden Shock
3 Aggressive Urge
This is a green-red deck built on blue principles of card advantage. Which sounds crazy but it is the keystone to the deck: 14 cards in this deck get me more cards. Radha allows me to attack with her and cast Psychotic Fury for free. Four boost the entire army and ten attack the turn they enter the battlefield. My biggest surprise? Jund Hackblade, no question. It is stunning how often it will hit for 3 the turn it comes into play. I hesitated using it because it wasn't 'optimized'--in this case meaning, I wouldn't be able to cast it for green OR black. The brain is a funny one.

There are two deviations in this deck and the first one is easy to explain: Sudden Shock. The card is just good. For all intents and purposes, that card cannot be countered and is just the thing to get rid of tiny blockers that might keep me from getting in creature damage.

The second card is Burning-Tree Shaman. This card I'm on the fence about. It's got a cool ability and for the mana cost is very efficient but whenever I draw it I never want it. I don't know if that's because it's not aggressive enough or because I just haven't played enough games with it yet. Time will soon tell but I have a feeling that my issue is that games are ending before the cool ability becomes relevant.

Finally, to head off what will likely be the first question: I am not using Might of the Nephilim because it does not draw a card. Getting +4 (or even +6) isn't as useful as chaining through cards to continually impose threats. You haven't lived until you've given something +1 and then drawn the card to give the creature double strike, then drawn the next card, which is what you'll use to give the whole army +2/+2 next turn. It really is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment