Tuesday, September 27, 2022

A Thousand Reasons

 After the 2-2 performance of Yes We Die, it's probably worth looking at the deck I had vs the deck I brought. I think this might be interesting because it can illustrate the difference between the decks I bring to the table to play and the decks I bring when things are serious business. 

So here's the list:

4 Sedgemoor Witch
4 Witherbloom Apprentice
2 Murderous Rider // Swift End
4 Dark Confidant
2 Shifting Ceratops
1 Eternal Witness
2 Endurance

4 Sudden Edict
4 Once Upon a Time

2 Fabled Passage
4 Forest
4 Swamp
4 Bayou
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Overgrown Tomb

2 Grist, the Hunger Tide

4 Chain of Smog
3 Abundant Harvest
4 Hymn to Tourach

15 Sideboard

SB: 1 Defense Grid

SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 Choke
SB: 3 Pernicious Deed

SB: 4 Abrupt Decay

Obvious differences are obvious: There is a sideboard! And there are the requisite lands required for running a deck in Legacy. The original deck wanted to trim the land count down and use the double-faced spells/lands from Zendikar Rising to help keep the pressure on. A tournament deck does not have the slack for these kinds of things. 

There are other changes too: Because there is such a heavy Blue presence at Mox, the sideboard was trying to manage the popularity of those decks. Shifting Ceratops mainboard is a result of this thinking but the sideboard is where this really gets emphasized. 

Leyline is still a useful tool against decks that want to use Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath or Murktide Regent, and that is most Blue decks. But Abrupt Decay, despite falling out of favor was helpful for me. Getting rid of Teferi or Narscet, cards I have seen often on Fridays, is pretty goodl. Abrupt Decay's uses might be limited, but I like having at least some kind of answer to Teferi that allows me to continue to interact with the game.

Along those lines, the lone Eternal Witness maindeck could be questionable. I was never sad to see it, but a third copy of Endurance or Grist, the Hunger tide are reasonable. 

Or, something that creates a problem for Blue with some protections from Prismatic Ending

Finally, a substitute for Defense Grid in the Sideboard is worth considering. I only have three copies of Choke, and I've maxed out the other relevant spells I think: Leyline and Abrupt Decay. What would be a good catchall spell? I think the three copies of Pernicious Deed are where I want to be. 

Force of Vigor or Krosan Grip? Grip holds an edge because of the countermagic available but is that even a thing that the Blue decks are worried about? The relevant permanents I saw there were Aether Vial and Standstill. So maybe this is too narrow.

Tear Asunder fits into what this deck wants and has some flexibility. Unfortunately, that comes at the expense of costing a lot of mana and I don't know that I'll have the time to wait until turn four. I might have to put the question to some friends. I would love to add in a card like Thragtusk but I just don't ramp up mana quickly enough.

My search brought me to God-Eternal Rhonas though and suddenly I'm considering that. I shouldn't but I am.


2 comments:

  1. There a stunningly lack of cabal therapy particularly with Grist and Sedgemoor Witch. You could maybe cut 1 copy of something and do a 3/2 split of Therapy and Hymn, having a relevant Therapy in the yard might do you to protect your combo better than making a random discard prior to combo-ing out. Speaking of witch, desperately pardon the pun, I would be more afraid to see a Grist resolved than a Sedgemoor Witch so you could cut a Witch in favor of Grist without changing the mana balance OR maybe a Shifting Ceratops to reduce the curve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Witch is combo redundancy and a reasonable threat for the mana. Grist is merely GB goodstuff, so it's not just a little matchup dependent as to which one someone might be more worried about. Witch means I can go wide, Grist gives me another opportunity to take out a Murktide-but is usually best if I already have something to sacrifice on the table, which the Witch provides..

      So that leads to the next issue; which card gets cut for the Therapy?

      Cutting Shifting Ceratops is, in the meta I'm dealing with, unwise. It's a ton of Blue-based stuff with Teferi/Jace happening. Spells they can't counter become pretty useful and 4 MV means that the card is difficult to Prismatic-a card that has been hammering this deck.

      Delete