Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Lessons From All That

 WHEW!

What a dive into the Warhammer world, right? 

So after 3 days and 4 nights of games, what did I learn?

Well, first and foremost this game really does rock. It's got a lot of interesting variety and decision points to make and kudos to the people at Apoka Team for making good decisions about the cards they produce. The new cards are well designed and expand on neglected areas of the game instead of just powerleveling the things that already existed. 

As far as the gameplay goes, I'd say that the biggest thing I learned is that it is better to build up to a big moment than it is to go all in early on something and then try to make your plan work from there. The former strategy allows for more flexibility and the potential to recover from mistakes, from RNG moments that don't break your way, or from battles where you're just blown out. 

The latter constricts you into a very brittle strategy and is, given my experiences, likely to crumble. If something doesn't go the way you're hoping, oof!

I've learned that there are some decidedly bad matchups in Conquest: I don't know how I could've made the Nahumekh vs Illuminor Szeras matchup work for Nahumekh. It's almost as if Illuminor was meant to punish what Nahumekh wants to do. 

But that is OK! Some warlords should be the weak point of others. But I hadn't seen it on display in Warhammer Conquest like this before. 

I suppose that's it. A fine way to spend several evenings, with enough gameplay to let me know which warlords need some attention, and hopefully a way to make them better. Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment