Tuesday, August 29, 2023

1-2 (again)

Round 1 vs Wann on Cephalid Breakfast

Game 1: I was able to resolve a Sudden Edict while they had the Nomads on the table, then move to a Tourach, Burning Inquiry, line. After an attack for 5, I dropped a Buccaneer to swing for 7 and pull off game 1.

Game 2: I opened with a Grief and removed their Stoneblade, which was the first game-saving action I took. On turn 3, with a Bowmasters on the table, I used Meltdown for 1 to take out a Currency Converter and two Construct tokens. That left them with nothing on the table, and they weren’t able to come back from that.

Round 2 vs Salli on Reanimator

Game 1: She had a turn 1 reanimation of Griselbrand, then Lotus Petal into Thoughtsieze. If I topdecked an Edict effect, I would’ve kept going but I did not.

Game 2: She mulliganed to 4 and I had a turn 2 Voidwalker. Except in response to the Voidwalker, she Entombed an Archon of Cruelty, and on her turn 2 reanimated that, causing me to sacrifice the Voidwalker. That was it. I thought about mulliganing to a Grief, but I had hoped a turn 2 Voidwalker-with two more Bojka Bogs in hand-would do the trick. Not so much.

That’s the second week in a row I’ve just gotten slapped down by combo decks. Whew.

Round 3 vs Curran on Reanimator

Game 1: I had opened with a Grief and got rid of the Animate dead, which was good! But he drew into entomb, and Reanimated a Griselbrand and that was that.

Game 2: Grief and then Voidwalker did good things! Buuuut he was able to work though it until he could take out my Voidwalker, Show & Tell a Griselbrand in and overwhelm me with card advantage. I also made the unfortunate mistake of hoping I could get a Liliana into play off Show & Tell but that is not how the card works. 

Rounds 2 and 3 took 20 minutes total to complete. Yikes. 

So I went home, had a beer. I think the suggestions from last week have given Trash Truck more options against combo, which is great! But combo is very difficult to deal with as a non-blue deck. Facing two reanimator decks in a row and just getting crushed was definitely a tough evening. 

I still really like this deck and maybe it could be brushed up even more. I'm not sure exactly how, at least if I want to keep it as a RB deck. But the games have been interesting and mostly interactive, so for a homebrew build I feel pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment