Thursday, April 4, 2024

Late To The Party: Greedfall

It took me a long time to finish GreedFall. Part of that was that it was a RPG and those just take awhile but it wasn't the only reason.

The upsides: this game had a compelling story, a lot of ways to customize your character and what I felt were meaningful ways to impact the story, depending on who wanted your character to be. Gameplay was solid; combat encounters could be challenging but never got frustrating for me.

Though it helped that I decided I was going to be a gunslinger. You know what works REALLY well in arcane times? Guns. Guns are great when swords are the default.  

The medium stuff; the animation had the Mass Effect problem where faces didn't always match up to dialog, and dialog lines didn't always match up to the conversation. This was notable in the usual places; Greetings and farewells, but I feel like if you're going to play this kind of game, you have to roll with that.

Also; while the movement animation was pretty good, whenever my character would run up or down stairs, they looked like they were high-stepping which was hilarious every time I saw it. 

The bad: fast travel wasn't implemented well. 

GreedFall spends a LOT of time sending the player on conversation fetch quests, and hey, that's partly why I'm there. However, traversal became a genuine slog in GreedFall. Having to walk to a travel point instead of the game just sending me to the location meant a lot of hours looking at that movement animation. 

It also meant that I began to notice when I was playing a game and when I was just running errands. That's not a great thing. So the momentum that the game would build would start to falter, and I'd set it aside for something more immediately engaging. 

Still, I liked it overall; it's a solid game made by a small team and it executes pretty well! Give it a solid B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment