Thursday, September 29, 2011

New World Disorder

A combination of the old Secret Force decklists and a Biohazard song. I give you a mono-G monstrosity:
3x Cursed Scroll
4x Tangle Wire

2x Garruk Wildspeaker

3x Natural Order

3x Eternal Witness
3x Fangren Firstborn
3x Fyndhorn Elves
3x Llanowar Elves
3x Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
2x Silklash Spider
2x Wickerbough Elder
2x Verdant Force
3x Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

4x Wasteland
16x Forest
2x Gaea's Cradle
The plan: get a Verdant Force out early, make with the Overrun effects (Garruk, Fangren Firstborn) and overwhelm. Gaea's Cradle gives me a ton of mana if I need it, Wasteland and Tangle Wire keep the opponent tied up and Cursed Scroll is there to give a green deck some creature removal coupled with a bit of reach if the battlefield gets locked up.

Vorinclex seemed like SUCH an awesome idea when that card was revealed. It's certainly something that feels like it goes with a card like Tangle Wire but when casting Natural Order, it's never been the card I felt I needed. So time will tell if it's worth it but honestly there are so many big green nasties that Vorinclex might be better elsewhere.

The other twist is the Wickerbough Elder and the Firstborn clash. (I was trying to think of a word that was the antonym of 'synergy' and it just wasn't coming to mind. English fail!)

The Elder gets bigger if I use it on something (good) and it's fairly inexpensive (also good.) But if it has the minus counter and attacks with a Firstborn, that ability goes away (bad). I don't know if it matters yet but I'm keeping my eye on things.

I suppose that if I have a problem with this deck it's that I never feel done with it. When it wins, it wins convincingly, like Morgan Freeman as God convincing. But when it loses, it's 'Emperor being tossed into the reactor core' losses and I wonder what the hell is wrong with this deck. It's just so swingy! Consistency is what I need when I play these kinds of decks; the ones that are meant to stand up to the crazy milling evil ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment