Thursday, September 20, 2012

New World Disorder

For some reason, when I name my monochrome decks I try to get the color of them in the title, except when I have green ones. I don't know why that is but it's an interesting trend I've noted, starting with this deck, named from the fun but hokey Biohazard song. Favorite line: I'm high tech, sent you a bomb in the mail so if you die today, I'll see you in hell.

So overdone!
3 Llanowar Elves
2 Verdant Force
3 Fangren Firstborn
2 Wickerbough Elder
3 Eternal Witness
3 Fyndhorn Elves
2 Silklash Spider
2 Woodfall Primus
3 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
1 Symbiotic Wurm

2 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Natural Order

3 Cursed Scroll
4 Tangle Wire

4 Wasteland
16 Forest
2 Gaea's Cradle
If you've been playing for a very long time, you might recognize this deck's base: Jamie Wakefield's Secret Force. That base is very, very loose: I don't think I really took anything from him beyond; Verdant Force + Natural Order = awesome!

The deck has evolved since in the pro circles, the most recent version using Progenitus as a win condition because Progenitus is a hell of a lot better than Verdant Force. I don't own a Progenitus so my improvements have gone in a different direction, trying to engage in more control elements using Cursed Scroll, Tangle Wire and Wasteland to suppress my opponent's activities while being able to advance the mana and then either Order up or just hardcast large creatures to win.

There are still issues. The original deck used Overrun as an 'I win' card. I kept finding myself in situations where that just didn't do the trick, so I went with a mini-Overrun effect: Fangren Firstborn. I don't get trample but I do get permanent bonuses every time I attack, which can come in handy when the board is mostly clear but all I have are mana dorks, in addition to being an actual threat, instead of something I have to hold in my hand.

This is also what prompted the Garruks (aside from me owning two): I can make beasts or I can just ramp up through Tangle Wires and eventually cast a difficult-to-counter Overrun effect.

This is one of the decks I own that people tend to not like to play against, so I don't get to break it out very often but it's also one of the older ones I have. Time to put it through some paces and see how it can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment