Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Hollows

I don't exactly know why I picked this name for the deck, beyond liking the song by A Perfect Circle. I suppose you can expect some weird song lyric post tiles in the next few weeks, because Maynard is an interesting man.

Let's decklist and say we did.
9 Mountain
4 Sulfurous Springs
1 Ebon Stronghold
8 Swamp
1 Ghitu Encampment
1 Spawning Pool
2 Phyrexian Rager
2 Lava Zombie
4 Flametongue Kavu
3 Dimir House Guard
3 Viashino Sandscout
1 Grave Titan
1 Oni of Wild Places

4 Death Match

3 Void
4 Torrent of Souls
4 Lab Rats
2 Goblin Offensive

3 Lightning Greaves

The centerpiece to this deck is Death Match. The ability to kill anything with less than three toughness should be a very powerful strategy so I chose cards accordingly: Flametongue Kavu to take care of creatures with more than 3 toughness, Grave Titan and Lab Rats to create more and more tokens that kill off my opponent's creatures without impacting my gameplan. Goblin Offensive generates overwhelming numbers and Lightning Greaves to protect creatures like the Kavu or Titan that don't bounce themselves like Viashino Sandscout does with Oni of the Wild Places or Lava Zombie there to provide additional bounce.

But now the Dash mechanic has come along and is in Red and Black! It's a perfect fit for this deck and I cannot wait to give The Hollows an overhaul. The Oni and the Lava Zombie can't provide as much value as a Mardu Strike Leader and that's just to start. I should keep an eye on Torrent of Souls: It is expensive and if I can't just win the game by playing it, some other form of disruption should be considered. Heck, there might even be a spot for Archwing Dragon! I'm really excited to give this deck a push and see how it works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment