Thursday, February 26, 2015

We Could Be (Crisis) Heroes

After the disappointment from finding out how Heroes really work in Star Realms, I have been itching to play the expansion correctly. It's the only way to be sure, right?

I was finally able to sit down with Noah and play the game it was meant to be played.

Aaaaaannnnddd....

It's not bad. I have to admit, Heroes coming directly into play for offer some strategic options that otherwise would be unavailable. That twist alone represents an additional dimension of play.

In addition, the small bursts of allied power can provide some assistance in the early game, when resources are limited and allied bonuses are difficult to come by.

They are also completely blanked by a card like Machine Base, which triggers all your allies all the time. That isn't a horrible thing because it means that the strategy becomes deeper but it was a moment where I realized that I wish I'd made some different decisions, having both heroes and the base out at the same time. The Heroes are also not extremely useful in the late game but you can't have everything.

The expansions are still too damned expensive, though. $10 for the whole kit-n-kaboodle and I'd say that's fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment