Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Correction

In the overview for Dominaria I did a few weeks back, I took issue with how Saga was implemented.

Wait. Why is it that we now have to do this crappy bookkeeping thing? This bothers me in the same way that Renown and Monstrous bother me: there's no way to know how the +1 counters got on the creature, so players just have to remember. Or, if the counters get removed for some reason, I can't re-trigger the ability.

Well, hell. This has two problems, for me: First, why do I have to remember that? It's unnecessary bookeeping which always ventures into the realm of unfun. Second, and this is specific to Saga but could also be true for Renown/Monstrous: If I can remove the counter, why can't I repeat the chapter? I've gone through the trouble to do so. LET ME DO THAT.

It works for Cumulative Upkeep, why doesn't it work here?
Well as it turns out, I was wrong about how Saga worked! This was due to misreading the instructions on how Saga triggered in the game, where it said, "removing a counter doesn't cause a previous chapter's ability to trigger."

I thought that this meant you couldn't ever redo a chapter. What they actually meant was: removing a counter doesn't trigger the chapter ability. Which makes a lot more sense: of course removing a counter doesn't trigger the ability: putting a counter on it does-says so on the card.

So if you can remove a counter from a Saga, going from two counters to one, for example, then when you put your next counter on the Saga, it reads it as two counters and chapter two triggers again.
Which is great! It works like I thought it should.

But I wanted to get that squared away, just in case, since I had gotten it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment