Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I Can Paint With Pain

I started this one out right by plugging Everything Ends into the analyzer at Deckstats and here's what I came away with: The amount of mana is probably solid at 38%, but the distribution is currently skewed heavily towards black. This is because I wanted to make sure I could cast Oversold Cemetery whenever I needed to. This could change but given the direction I want to take the deck in, I'm not sure how much.

What I definitely need to consider is that Oriss has WW in her casting cost and that matters. Everything else in the deck needs only one mana of the necessary color.

That might change but let me get back to that in a moment.

The other notable quality is the 16 cards in the deck that cost only two mana. This number actually goes up to 19 because Sanctum Plowbeasts are creatures that are never meant to be cast: They are there to get me a Plains or Island and the cycling cost is only two.

That's nearly one third of the deck!

Logically, I should be able to draw into my combo pieces in the early game, setting me up for the mid to long game. Let's hope, anyway.

The card that caught my eye during my search, though, was Archfiend of Ifnir. This seems like an easy card to replace Plague Dogs or Revenant with, especially since it triggers on discard, not just cycling effects. That means the grandeur triggers can do more, too.

So the additions have been: Scoured Barrens to fix the mana, Archfiend of Ifnir because it's awesome and Nimble Obstructionist to replace the Mourning Thrull, which really doesn't work anymore.



So now the mana requirements are a little more challenging: two critical cards with WW or BB in them means that Scoured Barrens and Sanctum Plowbeast are really going to have to work overtime to keep the deck functioning. Nevertheless, I believe the power level and consistency has gone up, with more cycling cards and tweaked mana. Which means it's time to see how Everything Ends does.

No comments:

Post a Comment