Thursday, April 12, 2018

Me Grimlock No Like You

The last run of games finally broke me: I hadn't been playing Wave of Vitriol, so I could run Rishkar's Expertise. I'd taken out Tooth and Nail.

But over the course of three games, against Commanders like Edgar Markov, Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper, Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons, The Scarab God, and Kaervek the Merciless, I came to the inescapable conclusion that there is a way for Grimlock to thrive against this field, ONLY if I am playing Wave of Vitriol and Tooth and Nail.

On the upside, I have better targets than I did before. One of the recommendations I got last night was Verdant Sun's Avatar, a card I had dismissed early on: 5/5s with that gain me 5 life when they enter the battlefield and then just sit there aren't useful.

My opponents helpfully pointed out that I had not read the complete text of the card: "Whenever Verdant Sun's Avatar or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain life equal to that creature's toughness." (Emphasis mine, because that's what I missed).

Lifegain in Commander-even just a little bit-can be extremely helpful. This might just be the card that helps give me the time I need to establish a boardstate I can compete in.

I still think Rishkar's Expertise will be useful: it easily combines with Grimlock, Ferocious King to draw eight cards. Something in that eight is bound to be playable, or at least reload my hand when the Wrath effects have blown through. Drawing cards is still one of the most powerful things you can do in Magic.

Here's the final list (excepting Verdant Sun's Avatar which I'll jam in there somehow):
Grimlock, Dinobot Leader

1 Savage Stomp
1 Thunderherd Migration
1 Cultivate
1 Lay of the Land
1 Frenzied Tilling
1 Star of Extinction
1 Shamanic Revelation
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Commune with Dinosaurs
1 Hull Breach
1 Wave of Vitriol
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Sol Ring
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Untethered Express
1 Aradara Express
1 Sky Skiff
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Traveler's Amulet
1 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Vanquisher's Banner
1 Conqueror's Galleon/Conqueror's Foothold
1 Cultivator's Caravan
1 Belbe's Portal


1 Raging Regisaur
1 Zacama, Primal Calamity
1 Trapjaw Tyrant
1 Sun-Crested Pterodon
1 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
1 Temple Altisaur
1 Majestic Heliopterus
1 Imperial Ceratops
1 Thrashing Brontodon
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger
1 Silverclad Ferocidons
1 Needletooth Raptor
1 Etali, Primal Storm
1 Charging Tuskodon
1 Sky Terror
1 Raging Swordtooth
1 Wakening Sun's Avatar
1 Kinjalli's Sunwing
1 Bellowing Aegisaur
1 Snapping Sailback
1 Thundering Spineback
1 Ranging Raptors
1 Grazing Whiptail
1 Colossal Dreadmaw
1 Thrash of Raptors
1 Raptor Hatchling
1 Charging Monstrosaur
1 Gishath, Sun's Avatar
1 Polyraptor
1 Goring Ceratops
1 Regisaur Alpha
1 Regal Behemoth
1 Pygmy Allosaurus
7 Plains
8 Mountain
9 Forest
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
1 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
1 Stone Quarry
1 Blossoming Sands
1 Timber Gorge
1 Selesnya Sanctuary
1 Rugged Highlands
1 Tranquil Expanse
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Naya Panorama
1 Shivan Oasis


1 Consign to Dust
1 Pyrohemia
1 Asceticism
1 Mana Flare

No comments:

Post a Comment