Thursday, April 5, 2018

Should've Done This Long Time Ago

I finally conducted this search. For those who don't want to hit the link, I'll just tell you: I'm looking for dinosaurs not printed in Ixalan block.

Turns out, there's 20, with every color but blue represented! I didn't see that coming but I definitely should've looked for this a lot sooner because of two cards:

Pygmy Allosaurus and Regal Behemoth.

Pygmy Allosaurus is cheap, useful, and could definitely replace a less than awesome minor dino. Regal Behemoth does two things that I want Grimlock to do: boost my mana and draw me cards.

Potentially. Unlike Matt's Queen Marchesa spikey fort deck using the monarch mechanic, I don't have a way to keep the crown for very long. On the other hand: I've learned that introducing the monarch mechanic to a game of Commander is an excellent way to kickstart it and getting these games going is a Good Thing in my opinion. Last Monday I played a game went for over three hours and that is just. too. long. Especially since I lost-but even winning would've been a huge drain on my energy.

I've also decided, after multiple games with Conqueror's Galleon, that the mana ramp might need a bigger push. Seven mana to bring a card from my graveyard back to hand is expensive and that's on top of dinosaurs that are expensive.

Mana Reflection would be a fantastic card-the ramp I have in the deck means I think I'd get to play it more often than not-but I'm not sure I have one and the card is $30.

That's bonkers. Plus, Mana Flare, while serving a similar role, also, like the monarch ability, has the ability to kickstart commander games and people tend to like that. In addition, the cheap casting cost means that if I draw Mana Flare in the late game (which is just as likely as anything), I can cast the Flare and still get a lot of value out of it. It also means I'm less of a target.

Though if I do have a Mana Reflection, I will probably run it...

No comments:

Post a Comment