Friday, July 27, 2018

Chain of Command

I'm here to tell you: Supreme Will is the real deal. Holding three mana up means that I always have an option and unless my opponent was really fast, I could dig my way out of a lot.

For some reason, both Jason and Fuz have come up with Bant wall decks for me to push up against and in both cases I've been able to stop their key spells and protect my combo to win.

It's not just the 'don't die' decks that I found myself in a stronger position against. Because of the Impulse and Supreme Will suite of draw and countermagic, I found answers when I needed them. Ixalan's Binding and Voidstone Gargoyle did great work in games 2 and 3 to help me cut off their lines of play.

And Ultra Magnus has been doing OK in multiplayer games too. I learned a quick lesson about being OK with letting a land enter the battlefield tapped, if I could hold up countermagic on turn two vs Thalia. But again: the soft lock assembly kept my opponents away from me and towards each other.

I even got a reminder that Reverence works on creatures with power two or less. I've been focusing so much on what Godhead of Awe did I just thought everything had to be set to one. Turns out, there are a lot of creatures with two power that find themselves stuck behind a Reverence, whether or not Godhead is out.

All in all, I feel really good about where this deck is at. A few mana tweaks and the addition of Supreme Will have set Ultra Magnus in a far, far better spot than when I started, so I think it's time to move on.

3 Meadowboon
2 Voidstone Gargoyle
3 Godhead of Awe
3 Thalakos Seer
2 Riftwing Cloudskate
1 Restoration Angel

3 Reverence
3 Ixalan's Binding

3 Counterspell
2 Absorb
2 Peek
4 Momentary Blink
3 Impulse
3 Supreme Will

3 Azorius Chancery
7 Island
6 Plains
4 Prairie Stream
3 Port Town




No comments:

Post a Comment