Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Strange Visitors

The road testing of Ultra Magnus is going about how I expected, with new changes and old cards kinda-sorta meshing but maybe not?

Ultra Magnus vs new Dragons
It's the kind of experience I get a lot when trying new stuff, really hewing down to what works. Multiple games against Jason and I still wasn't comfortable with how certain lines of play should extend. That a deck needs to be practiced isn't a problem, however. I like it, I like looking for those interactions that I hadn't seen before.

Jason taught me a definite lesson about being able to interact. Godhead of Awe is pretty cool but it doesn't really do enough against Glorybringer if I don't have a Reverence out.

I was disappointed in my card draw effects, too. I think Mulldrifter is as cool as the next person but as a turn three play, it just wasn't doing what I hoped.

"But it draws you cards, man. You need it," Jason pointed out. "Plus, it's a flyer so you can swing for damage." And he's right on both counts. The problem with Mulldrifter doesn't go away, though. It's not a great turn three play, and I need to get Ultra Magnus online as soon as I can.

"I think I need to take out Hindering Light," I tell him. I don't want to: This card draws cards for me and protects my lock. It's all winner, right?

But it's too reactive. I need it after turn five, when, hopefully, I've set up my Reverence/Godhead lock. Before then, it doesn't help. In a deck with one and two drops, the Hindering Light could shine! In a deck with four and five turn plays, not so much.

So where to go? Well, thanks to my games of Battlebond I have a new collection of Impulses that need a home. And this might just be the time for a card I've been waiting to shine, Supreme Will.

With that suite of card draw effects that don't dilute (much) my ability to counter spells (three mana is usually a heavy enough tax that it functions like a hard counterspell), hopefully this will enable Ultra Magnus to assemble the pieces I need in order to push my gameplan forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment