Tuesday, October 30, 2018

King Of The Rotten

Another Liege deck-and if you don't know, then I'll gleefully remind you that I love the two color lieges. All ten of them: I just think they're great. 
3 Llanowar Dead
3 Ebony Treefolk
4 Woodlurker Mimic
3 Creakwood Liege
2 Gleancrawler
4 Golgari Guildmage
3 Slitherhead
2 Spiritmonger

4 Putrefy
2 Golgari Charm

9 Forest
4 Twilight Mire
7 Swamp
3 Hissing Quagmire

4 Drain the Well
3 Rolling Spoil
While I took this deck name from a Corrosion of Conformity song, it looks like I built this deck around the glories of Woodlurker Mimic, not Creakwood Liege. There's something great about attacking with a 6/7 wither dork (spell + Liege boost), but I can see a couple problems already, not the least of which that I'm only running three Lieges.

Green and black have insanely efficient three drops, perhaps the most efficient of any color pairing. Just starting at base power/toughness, it's got some pretty strong stats, with only G/W doing better and I'd put G/R at close. There ought to be something to work with at that level.

The other notable theme is land destruction: Drain the Well and Rolling Spoil are as cheap as land destruction gets in the modern era...which is fine, except that what, exactly, have I done do accelerate this so I can reliably cast one of these two spells on turn three? Hell, the bonus of Rolling Spoil means that my Mimic dies if I use it! King of the Rotten just isn't built to develop a board of advantages via land destruction.

So it's time to look at this deck differently. Of the lieges, Creakwood is the cheapest enemy-paired one and is the only one that generates its owns swarm. Leaning into that idea might be worth exploring. With Assassin's Trophy being a shoo-in as the hot removal spell, there's a lot of space for this deck to breathe or make a statement. 

Of course, there is a lack of one-drops here-there are a total of four in the game and one has been banned. That means I will need to plan accordingly for the two mana spot because Slitherhead is bad and should be removed as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment