Thursday, October 4, 2018

Times Of Turmoil

Let's start with how a rat deck tech ought to go before getting into the nitty-gritty. You like? Great.

This starts with a LOT of upheaval.

First, running through the deckstats analysis, WHOA is the color ratio off. So much more black is needed than red. I have to up the Swamp count significantly.

Second: none of this went like I was hoping. Goldfishing sucked and the things I thought would help, didn't. Caldera Hellion and Ogre Slumlord sat in my hand.

This means a more drastic retooling is needed. More lands, more emphasis on theme.

After some thinking, I realized I would like would be a way for chump-blocking to be a negative for my opponents. Red's best combat trick is probably first strike, so I went looking for a first strike instant cantrip effect...

There isn't one. That's weird, right? White has Guided Strike and Lightning Blow. Why doesn't red have a similar effect?

Red does have Weapon Surge though, which I'm going with. The initial cost is cheap and the overload cost should be doable. With many of my rats having glass jaws, a surprise spear to the face of an opponent's creature should be just the thing to give my rats a little longevity.

As a byproduct of my search, Alesha, Who Smiles At Death was brought to my attention.

This card should fit perfectly: since creatures in my graveyard don't get the bonuses of the creatures in play, I can bring back a Rat Colony or Relentless Rats with ease and pump the rest of the squad! Alesha isn't a slouch either, being difficult to remove in combat and with a low casting cost.

To help ease the pressure on my three-drop spot, I've added in a few lands, too. That should make casting the Ogre Slumlord easier, too. The Slumlord may not always appear, but I want to cast him when he does.

Now that I've got some revisions made, let's take it for a spin!

No comments:

Post a Comment