Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Would You Be My Queen

Vs Dinos
I don't like Izoni. I said so back in my set overview and that really hasn't changed, but for those of you who don't want to wade through the entire review:
I hate everything about Izoni, Thousand Eyed. A 6 casting cost creature has WAY better base stats on average in the modern age, the ability is an "okayest ability" so the reward is...? This is a card designed for Commander and it will totally suck to play against. While also being entirely useless in any. other. format.

I hate it.
So, there's that.

Everyone else isn't me though, so I watched the Izoni commander video because I was hoping for some inspiration for this deck, because of the color base. The final two slots are Golgari Findbroker but the impact of those cards are just not very strong and I'm still hoping for something really scary. The impact at three mana wasn't as useful as I had hoped; let's look for something else.

I've started testing Izoni and Journey to Eternity as one-ofs. The Izoni is really only helpful in the late game so I don't want to run too many copies, and Journey I just wanted to see if it was worth something.

King vs Battle of Wits deck
But Journey doesn't work in this deck. Because what you really want from Journey to Eternity is Atzal, Cave of Eternity so you can get your creatures back. Unfortunately, the most common form of removal in Legacy exiles creatures or tucks them on the bottom of your library and which Journey is a dead card to.

So if I want to use Journey to Eternity, I really want to have a way to kill my own creatures. Relying on your opponents to do something is a bad time.

Since I don't have that, another card should fill the void.

It was after a few matches that Matt suggested Deadbridge Chant and I both really like the idea and am very reluctant to go there.

I like the idea because Deadbridge just does what it does-mill ten, then start getting cards from your graveyard back. Reusing Assassin's Trophy seems like a good idea, right? Putting creatures into play seems good and since I'm not running fetchlands, the ratio of lands in my graveyard vs useful cards should mean positive things most of the time.

However: there's a guideline about cards from Zvi Moshowitz that says that if it costs more than 4 and doesn't produce an immediate impact on the board, then it isn't worth it. Izoni, Thousand Eyed comes down late and can create insect tokens, bringing an army with her to do something with.

Deadbridge Chant isn't good until the next turn and even then the possibility that it returns a card I don't need is non-zero. So if I'm in trouble, the Chant is bad. If I am on the edge, the Chant might be good or it just as likely will give my opponent the turn they need to put the screws to me.

Which means the only time I'd be happy to cast Deadbridge Chant is if the board state is and can remain neutral for at least a turn, or is already positive for me.

I don't like those scenarios. I think I'll just test two Izoni so I can see what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment