Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The New Mulligan

Patric Sullivan's take on the new mulligan rule that WotC is going to test out is one I'm pretty much on board with.

The part I'm most worried about is this:
it is a massive boost for decks that are already exploitative of the present mulligan system,
Namely, any combo deck and I am absolutely certain that players will now do their level best to create the most degenerate 4-5 card opening hands (or less if that's all the deck needs) that they can, while also spending games two and three ensuring their sideboard cards appear. Why wouldn't you? The system incentivizes it and it's looking like the math bears it out.

Now, I am not suggesting that trying new things is a bad notion. The 'Vancouver' mulligan rule was a good change, in my opinion. Maybe the path forward is to use the London rule for Limited formats and keep the Vancouver for Constructed, so that truly degenerate decks can't abuse the system.

But I have reservations that's for sure, and am interested to see what the results of the London experiment will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment