Thursday, May 2, 2019

Finer Direction

After playing the Saheeli deck multiple times, I have a sense of what it wants to do: make a ton of tokens and overrun my opponents with them.

There are a few cards that just don't fit this well-or need to be removed for more relevant cards that fit the theme better. So here's the first round of cuts:

Loyal Drake (I have card draw and this goes against the theme)
Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor (goes against theme)
Coveted Jewel (bad)
Into The Roil (too narrow)
Psychosis Crawler (too narrow)
Maverick Thopterist (there are better cards)
Dreamstone Hedron (a difficult cut but I thought I could do better)
Vessel of Endless Rest (doesn't fit the theme)

And the replacements:

Feldon's Cane
Meteor Golem
Shattering Pulse
Phyrexian Altar
Goblin Bombardment
Efficient Construction
Sai, Master Thopterist
Jinxed Idol

Of these Jinxed Idol is the most interesting one to me, since the Gather wording on it says "whenever a non-token permanent is put into the graveyard". I have token creatures to spare, so there's a genuine chance to mess with some players' strategies, especially ones that want to use sacrifice effects. Sure, it's not so hot against other token decks but you can't win 'em all. Plus, I like the political element that the Idol introduces.

The rest are there to help solve other problems: Shattering Pulse to take care of artifacts, and Meteor Golem for other permanents, Goblin Bombardment to make use of all the tiny artifacts creatures Saheeli's ultimate generates, Phyrexian Altar for mana, and finally Efficient Constrution and Sai, Master Thopterist to increase the number of Thopters this deck can generate.

I look forward to seeing how these changes pan out because they feel smart and focused towards the theme. My one questionmark is Phyrexian Altar. I had added that card, because I was hoping to find some more expensive bounce effects: Distorting Wake or Capsize being my top two, and then sacrificing any hasted-but-sacrifice at end of turn tokens to feed into a board reset.

I am apparently using those cards in other decks because I don't seem to have any. I'm going to do a little digging for another spell like this that I can use but for now, I want to get some more games under my belt!

No comments:

Post a Comment