Tuesday, October 29, 2019

When In Doubt

Devastator vs Mono G
So I went with the Planeswalker. Why not? Giving my creatures spells flash could be really good against any control deck, and it does allow me to dig into my deck. Card draw is something that I know is important, and in Devastator is especially useful since I have a lot of lands and can hit those 2 land-1 creature or even 3-lands-in-a-row blocks.

Hexdrinker, I'm happy to say, has been doing exactly what I want it to: early turn play, mana sink, card that opponents swing their resources towards dealing with. When one opponent says "fuck that card" I notice. When three oponents say that, I'm allllll in. Nobody likes Hexdrinker but me and that's a good thing.

I have to say, this deck has felt strong when I've been playing it, and one exceptionally useful thing is how it can come from out of nowhere to combo out a win. That win can be done at instant speed if Vivien is out, because I can cast God-Eternal Rhonas in response to blocks.

That's a spicy way to victory, I'll tell you that.

I've also learned a few lessons about where Devastator has issues. Would you believe that green creatures that my opponents control creates problems for a deck that uses Verdant Succession? I bet you would!

So I'm going to add in a sideboard to Devastator. I've been wanting to start doing sideboards for awhile now, both as a good thought exercise and a way to improve my skills as a player and deckbuilder.

The issues I've had with Devastator are: other green creatures, fliers, and Humility.

Gah. Humility sucks but Naturalize exists. Second: Fliers are a problem, which makes Cloudthresher a great target-it can be evoked in for four mana, then sacrificed to Greater Good! If Verdant Succession is out, I can even get another to do four damage to all fliers and have a 7/7 creature with reach. Obstinate Baloth is there to gain life against red-based decks and maybe it's a reach but I'm hoping it'll be enough.

Against the green decks, Nylea, God of the Hunt can work in combination with God-Eternal Rhonas: Trample/Deathtouch should be enough to take out my opponent in the case of ground stalls. This might be good enough to try running maindeck. Finally, Hunt the Hunter. I'm proud of this idea: even with Verdant Succession out, if I'm taking out one of their creatures while keeping mine on the board, then attacking and forcing them to maybe lose another creature, I can still come out ahead.

4 Werebear
3 Blastoderm
2 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
2 Gurzigost
2 God-Eternal Rhonas
3 Fangren Firstborn
3 Caustic Caterpillar
3 Steel Leaf Champion
3 Hexdrinker
1 Rhonas the Indomitable

 4 Greater Good
4 Verdant Succession

 24 Forest

2 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds

Sideboard
3 Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 Obstinate Baloth
2 Cloudthresher
3 Naturalize
4 Hunt the Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment