Thursday, October 31, 2019

The Retired: I Hold Grudges

A new series!

I have a LOT of Magic decks. Too many, to be honest, because I cannot dismantle a deck.

That changes today. I own too many decks that are trying to fill niche mechanical ideas instead of being interesting or fun or good. Does the world need a G/W vigilance deck? Maybe not, but I've built one.

Is that deck interesting? No, it's pretty linear. Is it good? Maybe. Is it fun? Sure: I get to use older cards and mess with opponent's combat math.

So 1.5 out of 3 isn't bad. But failing that fun factor or engagement is a good reason to leave an idea behind. Plus, I have spread so many good cards out into bad decks, I barely have good decks now.

The point is: here's a deck I don't need around anymore. I'm going to talk about it a little and hold a tiny memorial for it here, then I'll dismantle it for parts, like building a new gun in a videogame.

I Hold Grudges:
4 Cerodon Yearling
3 Bull Cerodon
4 Flame-Kin Zealot
4 Suq'Ata Lancer
4 Duergar Hedge-Mage
4 Flickerwisp

4 Seal of Fire

4 Heal
1 Death Spark

10 Mountain
9 Plains
4 Arid Mesa
1 Drifting Meadow

2 Ajani Vengeant

2 Austere Command
There's the hint of a theme here; hasty creatures with goodstuff but...what exactly was I thinking? How does Flickerwisp assist this deck? What does Death Spark do for me? Why play Heal at all? (For the card draw but...) And this deck has Arid Mesa! A good card.

So, I'm going to put Arid Mesa in a deck that needs it: Flickerwisp, Ajani Vengeant and Austere Command can all find places-Austere Command alone is a rockstar in Commander. Seal of Fire has always been a card I like, since it can just stay out there as a potential threat, so there's bound to be a better deck for that card too. Death Spark is weird and that's interesting to me-but I didn't do anything with Death Spark aside from toss it in the deck.

Others cards just need to spend time in the binder, waiting for an opportunity to shine. Or are draft cards that I just need to let be draft cards.

No central theme, not nearly powered high enough: time to let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment