Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Lessons From The Sideboard

Red Alert vs Zombies
Because I didn't want to give up on Satyr Firedancer, it went into the sideboard. You may remember my dreams and hopes from last week.

Fortunately, testing seemed to bear me out! I played against Fuz's zombie deck-which is always a good barometer for how solid a deck I play is, as his zombie deck is quite resilient-and I felt good about the performance.

In games 2 and 3, I swapped out Dire Fleet Daredevil for the Firedancers, not having seen any instants or sorceries.

That was a mistake, because he had Nameless Inversion to take my creatures out, and the Daredevil would've given me the opportunity to exile that spell.

The card that really didn't do anything? Abbot of Keral Keep.

Which highlights a specific problem I'm having: Curving out appropriately. The Abbot can get me a land, but it can also just whiff. Either way, I can't play it until turn three. So now that card is questionable.

You know what totally hit the Hexdrinker Rule? Satyr Firedancer. It drew a kill spell as soon as Fuz could find one to play. Because you know what's awesome? Using a Searing Blaze to kill two creatures and do three damage to your opponent. I have to admit, after my first rounds of testing, I wasn't sure that the Firedancer was all I thought it to be but the latest matches really worked!

So maybe the Abbot should be in the sideboard and come in for the control matchups? I can use the extra card advantage and damage in those matches, as needed. Since matches with creatures are more common than those without, that's my plan for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment